[Gloucs] Green light for tonight's meeting (Wedneasday 26th)

Paul Broadhead lug at twinmoons.clara.co.uk
Thu Jan 27 21:50:00 GMT 2005

Guy Edwards <guy_j_edwards at hotpop.com> wrote:

> I couldn't make it due to work emergencies, can I ask how it went?
> Rough idea of how many people and a little description of the nights
> activities?

Sorry you couldn't make it Guy, I hope the emergencies are resolved!

We had about 15 people or so and sat in a big circle and chatted about
all kinds of stuff; no one gave a presentation.  Mike Whelan and his
colleagues told us about their business initiatives and how they want to
network with people interested in open source and generally spread the
word.  Please chip in Mike if I misunderstood!.

We went round the room and explained what our interests were and what we
wanted from a GLUG meeting.  A common theme was an interest in having
people give talks about stuff; something we later resolved to do better
at arranging. Another general interest was in an install day.

The general opinion was favourable for using the library every other
month as a reliable venue which would allow us to plan ahead.  So I have
booked the room again for Wednesday March 30th.  There are several
possibilities of talks for this event; Mick Brooks in particular said he
knew a few people who he would ask to give a talk.  We also thought we
might be able to ask others from outside the GLOS area; may be other
LUGs.

Although Mike Whelan had kindly offered to sponsor the event we did a
quick whip-round and raised enough money to pay for the room hire +
insurance.  Mick has the pound or so left over to put towards the next
hire cost.

Glyn Davies had investigated the possibility of using a room in a pub in
Cheltenham.  He agreed to look into this some more with a view to using
it for next month's meeting.

That's about it as far as I remember...

Regards,
Paul