[Gloucs] ADSL Modem

Oliver Gorwits oliver.gorwits at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Thu Jun 16 13:54:39 BST 2005

On Wednesday 15 June 2005 17:23, Christian.Trapp at gmx.net wrote:
> 1. a Linux compatible ADSL Modem. Has anybody experiences with a
> special one and where I can buy it?

As other replies have said, by far the most straightforward option may
be a combined ADSL modem, router & 4-port switch.

A friend of mine has the Netgear DG834G - it includes an 802.11b/g
wireless port as well. He tells me that you can telnet into the box and
it runs a mini Linux distro. Some Linksys boxes allow the same.

For the benefit of the list, I have a DLink DSL-300T which is just a
simple ADSL modem, and not much more. It provides an ethernet port
which I connect to a tiny m0n0wall -based system, and then an 8-port
switch. The DSL-300T also runs a small Linux distro; it's available
most reasonably from Amazon.co.uk.

HTH,
oliver.
--
Oliver Gorwits, Network Infrastructure Group,
Oxford University Computing Services