[Gloucs] Ubuntu 6.06 server install woes

LC Corporation lccorp at btinternet.com
Sat Aug 11 12:58:26 BST 2007

>Can you describe the hard disks and their partitions on the server
>please?

I have 10 500Gb SATA drives attached to an Adaptec 31605 card in a Chenbro
4U 16 bay enclosure. I was hoping to run these drives in RAID5EE. The drives
I am hoping to install the OS on are two 150Gb Raptors that I was hoping to
use the onboard hardware RAID of the motherboard (Supermicro X7DBE) to
configure to RAID1.

I have atm :

/dev/sda/ SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) 4.0TB Adaptec Array

/dev/sdb/ SCSI2 (0,0,0) (sdb) 150GB ATA WDC

/dev/sdc/ SCSI3 (0,0,0) (sdc) 150GB ATA WDC

Partitioned as

SCSI1

#1 	3TB	K	ext2		Main		/media/main
#2	499GB	K	resierfs	Corporate	/media/corporate
#3	499GB				Backup

SCSI2
#1 primary		143.9GB	B K	ext3	/media/sdb1
#5 logical		6.1GB		F	swap	swap

SCSI3
#1 primary		143.9GB	B K	ext3	/media/sdb1
#5 logical		6.1GB		F	swap	swap

This info is from the partitioning section from the ubuntu server CD

>I suspect you have an unusual or mixed hard disk configuration, or
>unusual partitions, perhaps due to mixing IDE and SATA drives, a
>misconfigured attempt at RAID or LVM, disk failure or other unusual
>addition/removal of partitions?

I wouldn't be too hasty to blame the hardware when in all likelihood it was
me who b0rked it all up ;)

>Bring the hardware along to our meeting next week- Tue 14 Aug 6pm
>onwards, MessageLabs, Gloucester Business Park, Brockworth. Bring a
>wireless adaptor if you require internet access.

It is a rather heavy piece of kit. With the UPS it weighs in a nearly 100Kg
- hence seeing if anyone was available to come here!

Would I just turn up and someone would look at it for me? Should I bring
something along to say thank you?

Many thanks

Ian