[Gloucs] Routers and Hubs an home networking question. Help Please

Ernie Ernie at linfoot.plus.com
Sat Nov 8 19:18:52 UTC 2008

Hi Everyone,
In my efforts to move over the Linux completely and get away from Windows
I've always been held back by the fact that I rely on an internal PCI ADSL
card which Linux doesn't recognise for my Internet connection. So, in what
I hope is the final stage of the move across, A bit of advice please? :-)

I'm changing my home network and I'd like to know if this new layout will
work.
This is my existing arrangement.
An 8 port Linksys hub is wired (fixed wiring in ducting) to 5 sockets
around my Study, and I have 2 fixed PCs on ports 4 and 6. There are also
positions to plug in 2 laptops into flying leads on ports 1 & 2.
The PC on port 4 is a dual boot XP and Ubuntu with an internal PCI ADSL
card which is sharing its internet connection under Windows.

Now I want to use this existing wiring and hub and connect a Belkin WI-Fi
4 port router(?) so that I'm not depending on the Windows Internet
Connection Sharing , but I get the Internet from the Belkin Wi-fi and 4
network sockets.
 \|/
  |              __ Port 4 Dual Boot PC
Wi-Fi BELKIN  /                           _ Port 6 PC
                \__ Port 2 >< Port 1 LINKSYS __/
                                (uplink)            \_ 2 Ports for laptops

So my first question is this. Can I connect one of the Linksys ports (it
has an Uplink(?) port) to one of the 4 ports on the Belkin and use another
Belkin port to connect to the dual boot PC so that that PC still shares it
folders with the other PCs and laptops on the network - through the 2
devices (hub and router)?
Will all PCs get the wired internet connection?
Do I need to use a crossover cable between the Belkin and Linksys?

Hopefully someone out there can give me some guidance.
Hope to see you all at the next meeting on the 18th of November
All the best
Ernie
ernie at linfoot.plus.com