[Gloucs] Download rates.

Andrew Oakley Andrew.Oakley at hesa.ac.uk
Tue Jun 30 10:53:00 UTC 2009

Geoff Bagley wrote:
> The old master socket was physically removed from the old
> location and reinstalled in the new one.  New high-quality
> phone cable was used. I cannot believe that this could be the cause.

I wouldn't be so sure. If the new cable route passes near more or larger
sources of interference than the old cable route (eg. heating system,
electrical cables, fluorescent tubes, energy-saving lightbulbs) then it
could well be down to just that.

Unfortunately "high quality" does not necessarily mean "shielded",
especially with phone cable. If you can get access to the cable, it
might be worth wrapping some shielding around it, to see if that helps.

Andrew Oakley
Head of Software Development
Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA)
95 Promenade, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire GL50 1HZ
T 01242 211460  F 01242 211122  W www.hesa.ac.uk

Higher Education Statistics Agency Ltd (HESA) is a company limited by
guarantee, registered in England at 95 Promenade Cheltenham GL50 1HZ.
Registered No. 2766993. The members are Universities UK and GuildHE.
Registered Charity No. 1039709. Certified to ISO 9001 and ISO 27001.

HESA Services Ltd (HSL) is a wholly owned subsidiary of HESA,
registered in England at the same address. Registered No. 3109219.