[Gloucs] Download rates.

Geoff Bagley geoff.bagley at btinternet.com
Tue Jun 30 11:27:31 UTC 2009

Andrew Oakley wrote:
> I wouldn't be so sure. If the new cable route passes near more or larger
> sources of interference than the old cable route (eg. heating system,
> electrical cables, fluorescent tubes, energy-saving lightbulbs) then it
> could well be down to just that.

Thanks for the tip. Nothing obvious at present.

> Unfortunately "high quality" does not necessarily mean "shielded",
> especially with phone cable. If you can get access to the cable, it
> might be worth wrapping some shielding around it, to see if that helps.

The old cable, which used to work well,  was old telephone "drop wire"
from the days of the GPO.

The most credible fault might be a faulty crimped joint,  but we did
check for that.

The downstream line attenuation  is 55dB,  which I consider to be high.
The DECT (POTS) telephones no longer work,  but the internet functions
well at 1312 b/s.

I can visualise having to call out you-know-who at great expense !

Geoff.