[Gloucs] Frustrate their knavish tricks.

N Clarke osymandias at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 17:43:29 UTC 2009

As far as I know, there's no particular data-mining that can be done
with flash that can't be done just with cross-site images or the like.

Gnash is a project attempting an open source reimplementation of flash,
which is a proprietary codec. Its attempt is to be compatible with flash
code, so if you're that its use by itself will prevent data mining, I
suspect you're probably out of luck. Of course you may still want to use
it from the open source angle. On my system, firefox plugins are stored
at /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, so if you want to use gnash you should
probably make sure you have the gnash plugin in there and not the flash
provided one. Uninstalling the flash plugin using whatever your distro's
package manager is is probably the best way to achieve this. You should
be able to check what's in use through entering about:plugins into the
firefox address bar.

If you want to block flash, you're probably better looking at something
like flashblock (http://flashblock.mozdev.org/) which will prevent flash
objects being executed unless you request it.

In terms of javascript, note that there's a big difference between
javascript and Java - the use of the word 'java' in both places is
rather confusing, since there's really no link between them. You may
well find you're using javascript without realising it on many sites
(lots of the useful functionality on google, for example).  If you're
still concerned about it, you can disable javascript fairly easily in
firefox preferences->content.

Cheers,

Nick