[Gloucs] Frustrate their knavish tricks.

Andrew Oakley Andrew.Oakley at hesa.ac.uk
Thu Mar 26 09:40:21 UTC 2009

N Clarke wrote:
> If you want to block flash, you're probably better looking at
> something like flashblock (http://flashblock.mozdev.org/)

That's exactly what I use, and it is excellent in every imaginable way.

Basically to get around the "website insists I have flash" problem, I
install real proper Flash from the Adobe site (they provide a
Debian/Ubuntu package) then I use the Flashblock addon to prevent it
running on all sites by default.

The Flashblock addon replaces all areas where there should be a Flash
object, with a blank square containing a "Play" button.

Flash can then be executed, only on my demand, by clicking that play
button. Alternatively, I can use the Flashblock drop-down options to
whitelist a particular site which I always want to run all Flash.

I do this to save bandwidth, to prevent distraction and to free up
processing resources. Privacy is not a concern of mine; I think people
reach for their tinfoil hats far too much these days. "Privacy is an
illusion; banking doubly so" to misquote Douglas Adams.

> In terms of javascript, note that there's a big difference between
> javascript and Java - the use of the word 'java' in both places is
> rather confusing, since there's really no link between them. You may
> well find you're using javascript without realising it on many sites
> (lots of the useful functionality on google, for example).  If you're
> still concerned about it, you can disable javascript fairly easily in
> firefox preferences->content.

I also use a Firefox addon to prevent Javascript running, however by
default I let it run Javascript and only block scripts on demand for
particularly agressive sites.

NoScript can block both Java and Javascript:

Andrew Oakley
Head of Software Development
Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA)
95 Promenade, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire GL50 1HZ
T 01242 211460  F 01242 211122  W www.hesa.ac.uk

Higher Education Statistics Agency Ltd (HESA) is a company limited by
guarantee, registered in England at 95 Promenade Cheltenham GL50 1HZ.
Registered No. 2766993. The members are Universities UK and GuildHE.
Registered Charity No. 1039709. Certified to ISO 9001 and ISO 27001.

HESA Services Ltd (HSL) is a wholly owned subsidiary of HESA,
registered in England at the same address. Registered No. 3109219.