[Gloucs] o2 mobile on ubuntu.

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Sun Mar 28 11:11:31 UTC 2010

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 02:06:53PM +0000, Geoff Bagley wrote:
> My daughter lives in Ireland,  and the only available broadband internet
> access
> at her location is o2  mobile, using a small usb dongle.
>
> She used Windows XP until she got fed up with crawling operating speeds
> due to malware
> ostensibly in the registry.  We  installed Ubuntu Karmic earlier today,
> and now the o2 mobile
> dongle doesn't work.

Network manager under Ubuntu should be able to sort this one out - it
certainly did on Ubuntu Netbook Remix.

This worked for me with a Virgin Mobile dongle (Huawei something or
other)

Plug it in, then go across to the network management "thing" and sort
out Mobile Broadband. It'll ask you for a network and a data plan and
then you should be OK.

Haven't got an Ubuntu machine online at the moment to put this through
more fully.

Google "Ubuntu 9.10 O2 mobile broadband USB dongle" and you may get some
useful info.