[HLUG] openSUSE build service

Benjamin Weber b.weber at warwick.ac.uk
Sat Dec 10 18:45:38 GMT 2005

Hi all

Thought some of you might be interested in reading the SUSE plans for a build
service. The minutes of the recent build service team are online and well
worth a read.

http://www.opensuse.org/images/5/5f/Minutes_en.pdf

To summarise  , looks like they're planning to have a build service anyone can
use to produce packages for SUSE and other distributions by uploading the
source and it will create packages for all architectures for you which will
be accessable from the package repositories.

It also looks like the system will be able to build for multiple
distributions, so Novell will be able to say to ISVs create your program for
linux and we'll package it for each distribution for you.

"We aim at the broadest possible user base and package base. "Have your
package built at openSUSE, and get binaries for SUSE, Debian, Fedora,
Windows, Mac, ....""

Benji