[Herefordshire] Posted a problem from my Linux machine last week :(

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Sat Feb 12 10:45:05 GMT 2005

Hi dave

David Shorthouse wrote:
> I tried installing Mambo had loads of problems with permissions but when I
> emailed It obviously didn't work..???
>
> I have used Apachefriends very good on windows based machines I would like
> to know how you get on with the Linux version.
>
> I've reinstalled SUSE 9.1 again due to a problem with the NVIDIA drivers
> after changing settings basically I was getting a black screen worst thing
> was I could connect to telnet but I've never used telnet & when I try to log
> on as root I get invalid username & password.. Although I did have the
> connection... anyone have any ideas?? The other thing I was going to ask. If
> I do have this problem again is there a way of disabling the NVIDIA driver
> through telnet?

You should really use SSH as its secure, telnet isn't. It probably was
ssh you meant, I doubt Linux Distros do telnet these days. Same thing in
effect though.

Yes you can quite easily disable the nvidia module. I've done this many
times. You get this when you upgrade say Mandrake to a new version. But
after you upgrade, MDK doesn't have the nvidia driver compiled against
the right kernel. So it doesn't work. They would certainly include the
driver themselves to avoid this problem, but nvidia wont open source it :-)

First make a copy of your X configuration.
You just need to go into /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 or X.conf and change the
line that says Device Driver 'nvidia' to 'nv' . also comment out with a
# the earlier line that refers to 'glx'

The tricky bit if you're not use to it is how to edit files on the cmd
line. Can use GUI's here! Instated try something like vi .

ie vi XF86Config-4

Move the cursor to where you want, then press 'i' to get into 'insert'
mode. Now you can change things. Now make your changes. To save the file
type

:wq

which means write (ie save) and quit, making sure you have root
permissions. If not it wont let you change the file.

A much fuller explanation is in the NVIDIA notes on their website. Is
well worth a read. Probably something that you will come up against at
some point if you using binary drivers.

to exit ssh. type 'exit'.

Then either restart X.  or reboot

Julian