[Herefordshire] God you people think p166 is old :)

Mark Broadbent markb at wetlettuce.com
Thu Jan 20 15:11:20 GMT 2005

David Shorthouse said:
> I don't think that vector Linux will work on my 486 SX2 50 machine. It
> is about to go down the tip because I cant find a battery for the
> motherboard. & it no longer holds any data in the bios so wont
> recognise any hard disks :(

I ran Debian on a DX2 66 for a year and half as dial up server, NAT, mail
server and web proxy (and all in less than 800MB) and it never let me
down.  Granted it didn't run X and it was all administered through the
command line but it worked :).
> I think I have a good topic to start of the new-year... does anyone
> play any good pc games (eg steam games)
> counter-strike,half-life,condition zero?? I have been playing with my
> Suse 9.1 again & have worked out how to use wine. But don't know if it
> will play my games. If it will does the spec of the pc have to be
> better using Linux?????

Not that I've found.  I can run UT2004 on my Duron 1.3GHz and GF4MX with
no trouble (as long as the graphics settings are suitably tweaked and the
nvidia driver is installed).
> Oh just a few other things while I'm on a roll.
>
> I'm now swaying all my attention to internet stuff (eg
> apache2,php4,mysql,perl.) I have installed all these as a default I've
> installed a module(terminoligy may be incorrect) called webmin which
> allows you to administer the machine using a web interface. I'm sure
> some of you have used it. I am missing loads of the modules and
> wondered if anyone knows what parts are must haves... for some reason
> my apache server wont start unless I restart the machine. (I must admit
> I don't know the commands I would need to start & stop it anyway) I'm
> interested in sendmail.. & procmail which I can configure through the
> web interface but knowing nothing about either I don't know which I
> should use...???

Sendmail is a mail delivery agent and procmail is a mail filter (a rather
crude description), if your at the meeting tonight I can give you some
pointers about procmail but if you don't know sendmail then ditch it and
install something that is slightly easier to configure (like exim or
postfix).
Thanks
Mark

--