[HLUG] CUPS needs password

John Hedges john at drystone.co.uk
Tue Jul 19 11:37:11 BST 2005

On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 08:08:10AM +0100, Graham Cole wrote:
>  I think I know how this password problem started. In my OS I have a
> six-letter password for root. This is not acceptable in CUPS: there must
> be at least one number. Hence if CUPS has craftily taken on my normal
> root password I am in an impossible position.
> This raises a question of inbuilt incompatibility for some Linux users
> of CUPS. If I'm right in my analysis I could go the long way round and
> reset my root password then re-install CUPS. But in theory I should be
> able to use the lppasswd command!

To use lppasswd you need to edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf - at least on
debian which is ubuntu related. I wouldn't recommend this and if you
have I would suggest reinstalling cups making sure you purge the
configuration files (--purge option to dpkg but I don't know about
ubuntu)

As far as I know, cups doesn't do password authentication itself, but
instead uses the pam libraries from a separate package to do it.

Are you able to log in as root at a console?

$su root
Password: *****

If you cannot then you have a problem and, although you might get cups
working without, sooner or later you will need to be able to log in as
root. If you can log in but without a password, you should follow
Julian's advice and create one.

Can you copy the section

<Location /admin>
</Location>

from /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and mail it to the list? And also let us know
how you are getting on with the root password thing :)

Cheers

John