[Herefordshire] looping boot

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Thu Jun 2 00:19:53 BST 2005

Gordon Alabaster wrote:

> I have installed Fedora Core 3 from a DVD that came with the Red Hat
> Fedora Linux 3 Bible, on a second hard drive, along with Windows XP on
> the first drive and Mandrake 10.1 on the second hard drive. The
> install seemed to go fine but the boot just keeps getting to load Grub
> stage 1.5 (I think) and then it starts the boot process again, looping
> forever. I have a floppy with Grub on that I made earlier and I can
> boot from that into any of the systems.
>
> I have played around with the grub.confg file and have a duplicate on
> the floppy, so I do not think it is getting to reference that.
>
> I have tried to reinstall Grub on the MBR on the main hard disk,
> twice, but the looping continues.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> Regards
>
> Gordon.

Hi Gordon

I'm afraid I cant help. It sounds quite an odd one. You could try
another way of doing it by installing LILO instead and seeing if its the
same.

Is your hard disk ok? Sometimes linux is more picky about disks than
Windows if there are problems with it. Linux is usually right and doesnt
gloss over the issue as Windows may.

Also try booting with Knoppix to check you can mount your drive(s) ok.
and run a fsck (filesystem check) on them.

Anyone else any ideas ?