[Herefordshire] Thanks

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Mon Jun 13 09:01:14 BST 2005

EdwardFW at aol.com wrote:

> Hi
> I regret that I have had so many hassles and made so little progress
> with Linux that I have reluctantly decided that it would take me too
> long to gain sufficient expertise to be able to build installations
> that work and could be depended on.
>
> It's a pity, but we use PC's in the business and thus need to be able
> to rely on them, I was only making very slow progress so it was too
> much stress for the result I was achieving.
>
> Many thanks for the assistance and hospitality, you're a great bunch,
> I shall miss you.
>
> Best wishes, Edward Fowler-Wright

Hi Edward

Sorry to hear that you've decided to give up on Linux. Sometimes, it can
seem quite arkane, with command line switches, and a lack of
documentation, and things that don't seem to quite work.

But in saying that, installing linux (which used to be a trial in
itself!), is usually very, very easy nowadays with most components, if
not all, auto-installed.

I think the progress Linux has made has been at such a rate, it
certainly is catching up with MAC OS X and Windows.

Perhaps you should look back on us in a years time; hopefully the
problems you had will be ironed out, and tasks simplified.

I must admit I can't remember the specific problems you had, but
sometimes these things are very PC specific, ie certain mfrs just won't
give out details, and the drivers are not always so good in that case.
Other times, you can just install it, set up samba, or a web server
without any problems at all.

Don't forget that there is a lot of Open Source software for Windows
now, ie Thunderbird, Firefox, OpenOffice, ClamAV so although you may
leave Linux you may not leave Open Source entirely.

If you still want to give Linux onre last crack and temporarily put off
your 'retirement' ;-) , bring along a box on Thursday, and we will do
our best to help.

Cheers