[Herefordshire] HLUG Meetings

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Tue Jun 21 15:24:44 BST 2005

Graham Cole wrote:

>Noel
>I do think you are getting it right for monthly meetings.
>I was away in Carlisle and therefore missed the meeting with regret. I'm
>happy to hear presentations because I have a lot to learn.  I'm using
>Ubuntu.
>
>A question for Jools about Ubuntu now. I heard that it's easy to upgrade
>but without broadband I started upgrading  from Warty to Hoary and found
>the download taking more than 24 hours. I stopped and ordered (by email)
>new discs for Hoary but 3 weeks later I'm still waiting patiently. No
>hurry now as I'm off to Glastonbury Festival for a week. The question is
>should it be easy to do the upgrade by accessing the Ubuntu site? Maybe
>I had the wrong approach!

Graham

If you want to do an 'apt-get dist-upgrade' to completely upgrade your
Ubuntu it really does download approx 500MB of files. On a 56 k modem,
thsi may break before you get all the files down.
The CD packages from Ubuntu themselves are very good, and completely
free, as in speech and as in beer ;-), ie you dont even pay for postage
! But they take an age to arrive. I've just recd mine , so you're
welcome to have one as i ordered 12 , some for the LUG too.

If you upgrade from a Hoary CD it will work much better. There are a
couple of minor issues when doing an full upgrade - these are mentioned
on the Ubuntu wiki

> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HoaryUpgradeNotes

Even so, these points are quite minor, I didnt need them, and the system
worked fine after an upgrade - more than i can say with my previous
Mandrake Upgrades in the past !

Please send me your Name and address, and a SAE to cover a single CD in
weight, and I send one on.

Cheers

Julian