[Herefordshire] How do I specify a auto - timeout for amodemconnection?

Andrew Hodgson andrew at hodgsonfamily.org
Thu Mar 3 20:55:40 GMT 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: herefordshire-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk
[mailto:herefordshire-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk] On Behalf Of Mark
Broadbent
Sent: 03 March 2005 08:26
To: HLUG
Subject: RE: [Herefordshire] How do I specify a auto - timeout for
amodemconnection?

>On Wed, 2005-03-02 at 16:47 +0000, Andrew Hodgson wrote:
>> Hi Julian,
>>
>> No ADSL until late June.
>>
>>> When I am talking about background Internet activity, I am not
talking about web browser sessions >tc, although these count of course.
What I am talking about are all the broadcasts, connection attempts and
pings etc that go on whilst connected which of course resets the timer.

>Hi there,

>What you basically need is to use the active-filter configuration
directive in pppd.  This allows >you to specify what pppd will consider
as active traffic and should solve the idle timeout problem.

>I found this http://www.faqs.org/docs/linux_network/x7297.html that
lists the active-filter >directive and this
http://users3.ev1.net/~ckite/public_html/enhanced-idle.html actually
gives a >couple of example filter expressions (the expression are
libpcap expressions I believe).

Thanks - I wish I had seen this a couple of years ago!

>BTW, Why does Microsoft Exchange insist on putting a tab character at
the 60 character in the >subject line?

Interesting that - it does some other weird stuff, but not noticed that.
Is this on all my messages to this list, or have you noticed it
elsewhere?  We use a pritty much default config with SP1.  The reason we
use it here is that we have several plugins for clergy use - i.e,
timetraq which is a calendar plug-in which takes account of shared
clergy time on specific set periods, and also church events, and another
plugin for list/roter generations etc.

Andrew.