[Herefordshire] newbie

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Mon Mar 7 23:03:38 GMT 2005

Hi Roy

Nice to meet you. Welcome to the Herefordshire LUG. We have quite a wide
spectrum of experience, but hopefully there's something for everyone.

I think you'll find that the newer Linux Distributions like Mandrake and
Suse etc, have improved somewhat since Mandrake 8 and Redhat 9.
Nowadays, I think many people would agree that in many ways its easier
to install the newer linux distros than Windows XP these days. You can
easily repartition Windows drives even ones formatted with NTFS, and
make them dual boot without any difficulty at all.

One word of warning; I wouldnt try to upgrade your Mandrake 8 to 10.2.
Usually, if you do upgrade it works ok if you do it between versions, or
perhaps 2 versions. Because so many things have changed dramatically
between 8 and 10.2, I dont think that it would work too well. Though, I
havent tried it ;-)

Perhaps we ought to consider an install evening as a monthly meeting
sometime.  I know the Shropshire LUG do this, and many other LUGs do.

Hope to see you at the next meeting

Cheers

Julian