[Herefordshire] Things not to do.

David Reid david at sagecrest.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Mar 9 20:04:15 GMT 2005

Things not to do 1)

Fiddle with your linux installation while watching 'Comic Relief Fame
Academy', after a long hard demoralising day at work.

Things not to do 2)

Use partition magic to drop yout linux partitions (it wouldn't boot
after some long forgotten attempt to give XP a bit more elbow room on my
laptop and anyway I fancied trying a different distribution). Grub gets
a bit shirty because it's configuration file lives on the linux boot
partition. On a dual boot XP/Linux machine you lose the ability to boot
your XP install as well.

Things not to do 3)

Forget the XP Administrator password. To reinstall the windows boot
loader you need to boot off the XP CD, choose the recover option then
type fixmbr. Before it does that it asks you for the Administrator
password. I didn't even know it had a password on my PC!

Thankfully, Grub still allows you to boot an OS even if you lose it's
config file :-

grub>  rootnoverify (hd0,1)            # the 1 is because Dell create a
hidden recovery partition
grub> makeactive
grub> chainloader +1
grub> boot

got me back into XP and although my Dell's odd installation stopped me
restoring the windows boot loader a quick Ubuntu install put everything
back in working order. God bless the internet.

And surely Reggie should have gone before Dawn? Go Edith.

'Fame Academy' has just started again - think I'll have a quick fiddle
with my new Ubuntu install :-)

David.