[Herefordshire] Newbie Question: File Server

Andrew Hodgson andrew at hodgsonfamily.org
Thu May 5 09:13:02 BST 2005

Hi,

There are plenty of options available - you could build something yourself using Samba - if you want a webadmin for Samba use SWAT - Samba Web Admin Tool - which will give you the full range of options.  Depending on the hardware you go for you have a range of options.  You could also use a packaged solution - free at http://www.contribs.org, or a paid-for version at http://www.kyzo.com (look for Pizzabox file server).  The other thing which I have done is to get a Buffalo linkstation - I paid £50 on Ebay for a 120 gb version.  This is a very small silent box which will act as a file server, supports backing up to USB disks and also supports USB printer sharing.  Although the options are quite limmited, it is fine for home use, and I use it really for storing my MP3 files and other rubbish and then also for doing backups of my other two servers, which it does really well without fail each night.  The other thing with this is you can if you want to fiddle load Debian on it, although have not done this yet.

Hope this gives you a few options.
Thanks.
Andrew.