[Herefordshire] Newbie Question: File Server

Andrew Hodgson andrew at hodgsonfamily.org
Thu May 5 09:16:21 BST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: herefordshire-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk on behalf of Ben Stephens
Sent: Thu 05/05/2005 08:58

>Thanks Guys, that should help a fair bit.

><mark>But fileserving on the scale of 2 PCs doesn't require anything
>special best to go simple and well supported.</mark>

>How do I tell what's well supported?

In the examples I gave you in the message previous you can look at the websites and see what resources are available.  For example, there are full message boards/forums for all the products I posted about in my previous message.  As for simple, I would personally find a Dell server in your environment a bit overkill.  For the past three years I have used a really battered Compaq Deskpro P166 with 64mb of ram and 3gb of disk - I got this from a computer fair in Worcester.  For the two years before I got a W2k3 server it was my domain controler and primary mail server.  It now does email lists on my domain, although I need to get rid of it because I have run out of sockets and want to get a hardware firewall at some point in the coming months.

Thanks.
Andrew.