[HLUG] Suse's version of httpd.conf

Mark Broadbent m.broadbent at signal.QinetiQ.com
Mon Sep 12 13:38:56 BST 2005

Andrew Hodgson wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>On SLES9, I am trying to allow HTTPS requests to go to the default website.
>I can see where the SSL settings are, but I am not sure which template is
>used for configuring SSL in the default website?
>
>Any pointers?
>
>I would usually put an SSL statement near the top, where it would say the
>root document etc, and thn there are SSL statements lower down the file
>which configure the certificates etc.  However this file is highly
>fragmented with several include statements, and I am not sure what the best
>practice is.
>
>Any suggestions?

Hi Andrew,

Personally, I would add another file that configures the SSL enabled
site using a VirtualHost directive.  Something along the lines of:

Port *:443

<VirtualHost myhost.com:443>
    SSLEnable On
    DocumentRoot /var/www/mysecuresite
</VirtualHost>

That is all from memory so the names might not be correct.

BTW, the fragmented configuration eases configuration of apache
enormously as each seperate virtual hosted site can be in a seperate
file.  Much easier to manage! :-)

Thanks
Mark