[HLUG] project suggestion

Chris Owens cowens at clara.co.uk
Thu Sep 29 10:25:45 BST 2005

Hi everybody

    Sorry folks -  late again but I have had a couple of thoughts re
projects.

    For me as a beginner it would be a great to have some kind of project
perhaps based on a tutorial type concept covering in understandable detail
really basic tasks (like making CD's from DVD's,  setting up an internet
connection, setting up e-mail, downloading and installing applications and
tools) and recording the gist of what is discussed/written/posted or
otherwise covered in a Wikipedia type thing perhaps on our website - a sort
of home-grown 'HLUGipedia'. This way experienced users can keep the
structure sound and add the esoteric points and people like me can try and
see that the final text is attractive to and can be grasped by beginners
(and then the experts can tell me where I got it wrong!).

    In this way the considerable expertise in the group can be distilled
into a reference data source that learners can refer to as and when they
come unstuck. Despite all the excellent features in Linux a lot of things
just don't work 'straight out of the box' and it is well beyond the
capability of the new user to understand why they don't. I find many forums
and websites are helpful but only to a point, many are quite cryptic or else
start from a level of expertise well beyond the true novice and often the
required knowledge is scattered over several sites.

    I really want Linux to succeed, I think it is great in so many ways, but
it just occurred to me this kind of project would bring people together even
more, utilise the considerable expertise in the group and help people enter
the fold that much easier.

    What does anyone think - I certainly wouldn't mind being the scribe
subject to time and ability and even if such a basic level project doesn't
appeal perhaps we could make a HLUGipedia for the project that is adopted

All the best

Chris