[HLUG] Vector Linux users out there?

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Wed Dec 6 00:44:40 GMT 2006

tundish wrote:
> Hi, Matt,
>
> I've no experience with VL, but I'm a huge fan of Zenwalk Linux
> (www.zenwalk.org).
>
> Zenwalk is Slackware based, like VL. Default desktop is XFCE. Uses
> "netpkg" to update from packages from the web. Very nice.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dave.
Hi Dave, long time no hear.

I used Vector Linux extensively a year or more back for a Herefordshire
LUG project to install Linux onto 6 low spec pc's for Community First.

Results were good, and both parties happy with the results. But
....Vector Linux suffers from a small userbase compared to Xubuntu,
Slackware, or Xenwalk which was demonstrated by the amount of silly
little fixes that were required to get some quite basic things sorted
out, ie UK keyboard layout wouldnt stick, with adjusting the order of
scripts to call it - not very user friendly !!

But it ran quick, and did keep these elderly PC's going.

Xenwalk looks nice, tho' haven't tried it.

Julian

PS Is it me, or have we forget the meeting this month ? Or did we decide
that we would have a Xmas meal sometime in the month instead ??