[HLUG] samba (not)printing

Gordon Alabaster herelug at centaurus.demon.co.uk
Sat Jul 22 19:26:46 BST 2006

Hi,

I have an Evesham desktop pc running FC5 with an Epson printer attached
and an Acer laptop running WinXP, with an ethernet broadband
modem/router. As you can guess, I want to be able to print from WinXP on
the Acer to the printer on Linux.

I got samba printing under Fedora Core 3 after reading all sorts of help
guides. Then in April I went to FC5 by reinstalling. I tried using the
same smb.conf but it didn't work. As before, I read everything I could
get my hands on. The more I changed, the more confused I got and
eventually realised that I was getting nowhere.

I decided to uninstall all samba and remove all parameter files, then
reinstall samba and start again from scratch. I expected the reinstall
of samba to create new parameter files but it did not generate a new
smb.conf and I had to create it from a backup of the original one. The
printcap file was not recreated when I started up smbd and nmbd (smb
service), so I copied this from a backup as well.

I only changed the smb.conf file to name the workgroup and checked what
was working. I can access my linux home folder and see the printer from
the WinXP. I managed to add the printer through control panel>printers
and provide a driver (Win2000 or WinNT).

When I try to print a text file from WinXP it seems to be working then I
get a msg "A StartDocPrinter call was not issued" and when I try to look
at the WinXP queue the top banner says "stylus-photo-830--1 on Evesham
Access denied, unable to connect".

I feel it may not be using the printcap file because when I change the
smb.conf to say "printcap name = /etc/printcap" I can no longer see the
printer from WinXP?

Has anyone got a similar setup working, or can anyone suggest why I am
getting Access denied on the printer?

Sorry the tale is so long but I wanted to show that I have tried to
understand it first.

Regards

Gordon