[HLUG] samba (not)printing

Mark Broadbent mgjbroadbent at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 22 19:51:27 BST 2006

Hi Gordon,

On 22/07/06, Gordon Alabaster <herelug at centaurus.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> When I try to print a text file from WinXP it seems to be working then I
> get a msg "A StartDocPrinter call was not issued" and when I try to look
> at the WinXP queue the top banner says "stylus-photo-830--1 on Evesham
> Access denied, unable to connect".
>
> I feel it may not be using the printcap file because when I change the
> smb.conf to say "printcap name = /etc/printcap" I can no longer see the
> printer from WinXP?

I believe the printcap file is created by CUPS, have you set the
printer up through that (and works in Linux)?  You can then set Samba
to use CUPS to access the printer.  You may have to remap the printer
on  WinXP.

Thanks
Mark

--
Mark Broadbent
Herefordshire LUG Master

* http://www.wetlettuce.com/
* http://www.herefordshire.lug.org.uk/

Warning: `class Bob' only defines a private destructor and has no friends
  --- GCC C++ compiler: