[HLUG] subversion and inkscape

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Fri Jun 9 23:18:18 BST 2006

j michaelson wrote:
> hello everyone,
>
> i'm in a good mood. i downloaded the latest source code for inkscape
> and after spending a lot of time sorting the dependencies with
> synaptic i got it to compile. it's absolutely gorgeous and well worth
> the time it took to sort.
>
> i got the source from a subversion snapshot page, where they take a
> snapshot every hour and package it up. this means that it's pretty hot
> of the press, but the downside is that if i want to compile a fresh
> version i'd have to download the entire source code again which is
> quite a stumbling block on dialup.
>
> so i've been looking at the subversion thing on the wiki...
> http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/WorkingWithSVN
> ... and i'm under the impression that if i get subversion running on
> my pc and then i'd only have to download it once and from then i'd
> just have to update the bits that had changed, which would be a more
> efficient use of internet access than downloading the whole thing
> every time.
>
> there was a bit that worried me, where it said...
> "SVN stores source code in a shared repository (in our case on
> Sourceforge's server). The repository contains all past and present
> versions of the code, and is shared by everyone."
> ... this doesn't mean that the first time i run subversion it will
> have to download "all past and present versions of the code", does it?
> i hope not.

I don't really know, but I very much doubt it. Hopefully someone else
can chip in with more info.

I haven't seen Inkscape 0.44, but seen the changelist - wow 1 it
certainly warrants more than a 0.01 addition I think. The Scribus guys
(and girls) also seem to only increase their release numbers in a tiny
way for such large improvements)

Julian