[HLUG] subversion and inkscape

j michaelson jmichaelson at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 22:23:52 BST 2006

hello everyone,

i'm in a good mood. i downloaded the latest source code for inkscape
and after spending a lot of time sorting the dependencies with
synaptic i got it to compile. it's absolutely gorgeous and well worth
the time it took to sort.

i got the source from a subversion snapshot page, where they take a
snapshot every hour and package it up. this means that it's pretty hot
of the press, but the downside is that if i want to compile a fresh
version i'd have to download the entire source code again which is
quite a stumbling block on dialup.

so i've been looking at the subversion thing on the wiki...
http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/WorkingWithSVN
... and i'm under the impression that if i get subversion running on
my pc and then i'd only have to download it once and from then i'd
just have to update the bits that had changed, which would be a more
efficient use of internet access than downloading the whole thing
every time.

there was a bit that worried me, where it said...
 "SVN stores source code in a shared repository (in our case on
Sourceforge's server). The repository contains all past and present
versions of the code, and is shared by everyone."
... this doesn't mean that the first time i run subversion it will
have to download "all past and present versions of the code", does it?
i hope not.

john.