[HLUG] Group project

Noel McG. etwell at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 18 15:23:16 BST 2006

Hello,

> i have been thinking about a group project for us to all take part in

We do in fact have an ongoing project run by Box on setting up a basic Linux
distro.
This of course works best when we can be at HCT so that everyone can see
what is hapening etc.

> and i have come up with the idea of seeing if we can get our hands on a
> pc (i know of a few places which could help) and donating it to a local
> school with edubuntu or ubuntu installed or even trying to arrange for a
> few of us to go give a talk to high school children on Linux instead of
> windows and open source software such as openoffice gimp etc this would
> be great publicity for the lug and and a way of introducing youngsters
> and to the alternative to windows and how far open source software has
> come in the last few years im sure would get a write up in the Hereford
> times and as such we bring with it new members and more interest for
> Linux within our county

A good idea but is it practical.  The schools will be teaching according to
a set caricullum and they will not be allowed to divert from that.
They will also be teaching what is needed for their pupils when they leave
school and enter the workplace, and that in the majority of cases is
Windows.

>From what I see locally most 5/6 th formers already have their own laptops,
so I think the facility is there already if they wanted to go down the Linux
route.

Regards,

Noel.