[HLUG] Thursday meeting & Finding a new Meeting Venue.

Chris Owens cowens at clara.co.uk
Sun Jun 18 22:00:06 BST 2006

Hi everyone

    Very sorry to have missed the meeting wherever it was - spent a very
pleasant 30 mins from 7-7.30 in the 'garden' at the Spread Eagle but
then abandoned ship and returned home.

    Just to say that I think to really make the Group function access to
live hardware is essential. Nice though it is in the pub its not really
conducive to systematic learning and to my mind nothing beats a)
Structured presentation/demonstration of key software b) Tutorials on
key operations or c) A group project with a leader involving the
development of a useful application or service. Informal gatherings with
everyone doing their own thing is great (or at least has been for me)
especially if one has a specific problem to fix but doesn't really bind
the group together. Just having a chat I reckon is best kept for
informal evenings and these are best in the pub.

    Incidentally if meetings do get canceled for any reason it would
really help to have say 24 hours notice to save people like me from
polluting the planet more than I already do!.

All the best

Chris