[HLUG] Hello

Mark Broadbent mgjbroadbent at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 19 12:57:32 GMT 2007

Hi Mark,

On 16/02/07, markdale184 at aol.com <markdale184 at aol.com> wrote:
>   Hi this is just a quick introduction as i have recently joined the mailing list.

Welcome!

>  I'm a total noob with linux atm so i have installed noobie linux (Linspire) onto an old desktop that i'm sharing with my windows comp using a KVM switch. So far the system seems to be running well except for the printer (Lexmark P4250) as i am unable to locate a driver for it.

Best of luck with your chosen distro.  You my find that as you learn
more you want to try some of the other variants that are around, some,
notably Ubuntu, Fedora and Debian have very large user bases so
getting help with these can be easily found and of course there is
always this LUG.

With reference to your printer, have a look on
http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting they maintain a large
database of printers and if they are supported.  I couldn't find yours
on there, but I did find a P4350, but that is not supported at all.

>  I live in hereford and will try to attend the monthly meetings (shifts at work pending) as i am keen to learn more about Linux. I have several other distros on disk that i will try (redhat, suse etc) when im more familiar with it, although for now this will remain a hobby on my spare comp as i enjoy my online games (wow, eq etc) to give up windows just yet :p

The monthly meetings seem to be a little quiet at the moment,
hopefully when spring kicks in more people will come out of
hibernation. ;-) We'll look forward to seeing you.

Thanks
Mark