[HLUG] Nvidia drivers no longer working with Ubuntu Edgy or Feisty

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Wed Feb 28 23:03:45 GMT 2007

Hi

I'm not so sure if anyone can help, but I've come up against a brick
wall on this so looking for suggestions.

My Ubuntu Edgy installation was fine with the std Ubuntu method of
installation of Nvidia drivers rather than using Nvidia's own package
install which you compile modules against your kernel which you have to
redo whenever there is a kernel update.

All was fine till a couple of months ago. Then on one update, something
broke I think. I instead used the envy nvidia script to patch things up
(as i mentioned previously on this list) and this worked fine.

Now I've dist-upgraded to the dev version of Ubuntu Feisty (working
pretty well so far by the way), but the nvidia drivers dont work here
for me either. What's confusing is that I have Geforce 2 MX100 DDR/200
DDR which I'm not completely clear whether this card requires the Nvidia
'legacy' driver or the normal one. It seems older GeForce 2 cards do
need the legacy driver. I'm sure I've read conflicting info as to what
driver I require legacy or latest, but am wondering whether for some
reason I am always getting the wrong driver version here.

Just as a test to see if my install had got messed up with having to
using the Envy driver script method previously, I created a clean Ubuntu
Feisty Install, with exactly the same results.

Ubuntu forums are full of happy campers with Beryl and 3D swanky
graphics on Feisty but I'm stuck on 2D at the mo.

Can anyone suggest anything worth a try to get this fixed??

Cheers