[HLUG] Source RPMs

Andrew Hodgson andrew at hodgsonfamily.org
Mon Jan 15 23:48:06 GMT 2007

Hi,

-----Original Message-----
From: herefordshire-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk
[mailto:herefordshire-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk] On Behalf Of Jeff
Tupholme
Sent: 15 January 2007 23:19
To: Herefordshire Linux Users Group.
Subject: [HLUG] Source RPMs

>Hi all,

>I believe most people are running Ubuntu but I still have a couple of
>machines running a Red Hat variant (Yellow Dog). That uses RPM for
>its package management. I want to add a couple of additional codecs
>to ffmpeg that are only available in source form, so I thought I
>would try to incorporate them into the source RPM (SRPM). I believe I
>can unpack the SRPM and add the extra directories in before building;
>the ffmpeg Makefile is supposed to notice them and roll them in.

If you are downloading the source for the encoder and this is not in RPM
form, could you not just build the hole thing starting from extracting
the source RPM of the ffmpeg package then making it manually (after
modifying the relevant directories to include the additional codecs of
course)?  Look at the spec of the package also to see what extra things
are getting rolled in on an install (patches and the like) before doing
the final ``make''.

I never have much luck trying to build packages from scratch after
modifying them, so have always done it this way (though never on the
ffmpeg package - as I don't use sound on Linux).

Hope I haven't missed anything too obvious.

Andrew.