[HLUG] Re: Libraries etc

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Wed Jan 24 22:50:06 GMT 2007

Hello Peter,

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 19:26:55 +0000 Peter Linnell wrote:
> Sorry for tardy reply. I am working ( for hope value) on a vol;untary
> sector project development in West Wales at the moment and am snowed
> under with application and funding cycle deadlines.

I spent today at the Social Enterprise conference (Voice07) in
Manchester. There were some really great projects there. It really
is amazing what can be achieved in the third sector with enough
determination - stick with it ;-)

I fact I'd say the best social enterprises put most regular
businesses to shame on all fronts :-D

> Content needed on;
> What is Linux,

It's a kernel.
But seriously, a lot of this is written up in numerous places
around the web, but in a couple of months we should have fact
sheets up under cc licences that cover much of this :)

> major distros, major SW who is it for.
> How to get, install and use ( including directions for DVD on offer)
> Licensing, GPL, creative commons, etc.
> HLUG and other user networks.
> Examples of best practice ( such as Powys CC)
[snip]
> Sorry I cant get to meetings from here; I think the nearest LUG is
> Aberystwyth or

West Wales meet up fairly regularly during term time. They
played host to Richard Stallman a few years ago :-)

> Swansea, both more than an hours drive!

but I don't think SWLUG meet up much in Swansea any more.

Regards,

 - Richard

Richard Smedley,                                         rs at m6-it.org
Technical Director,                                     www.M6-IT.org
                                              A PRINCE2 aware company

Web services * Back-ups * Support * Training & Certification * E-Mail
M6-IT CIC ``Software Freedom for the Education and Voluntary Sector''

M6-IT is a Community Interest Company, limited by guarantee
Registered in England & Wales,               Registration No: 6040154
11 St Marks Road, Stourbridge, West Midlands, DY9 7DT