[HLUG] Exim 4.50 on Debian 3.1 external greet_pause?

Mark Broadbent mgjbroadbent at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 29 13:07:51 GMT 2007

Hi Andrew,

On 27/01/07, John Hedges <john at drystone.co.uk> wrote:
> > Yes, I found it, as well as reading a load of docs, I have managed to
> > implement most of what I want (i.e, TLS, Callout on secondary MX etc).
> > The only problem I have now is that it takes around 30 minutes to spool
> > mail from the secondary to the primary.  It is not a huge issue, but I
> > can't work out why it is doing this?  I specified the domain in the
> > relay domains prompt during the configure stage.  I want it to spool as
> > soon as possible, especially since the primary MX is available to do the
> > callout (to avoid shedloads of spam emails getting stuck in the
> > secondary MX).
>
> Maybe something to do with the exim que run which runs every 30 minutes?
> Either force immediate delivery from the secondary or reduce the
> QUEUEINTERVAL in /etc/default/exim4.

In addition to this you might also want to consider using the ETRN
smtp command from the primary MX.  This command effectively says to a
backup mx, start spooling mail to the given domain, now.  This is
useful if the primary knows it has been off-line and I use this
successfully on my own system.  I am not sure if exim supports this
command but I do know that postfix does.

Thanks
Mark

e.g. Usage

Primary -> backup