[HLUG] Exim 4.50 on Debian 3.1 external greet_pause?

Andrew Hodgson andrew.hodgson at allpay.net
Mon Jan 29 13:14:30 GMT 2007

Hi Mark,

From: herefordshire-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk
[mailto:herefordshire-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk] On Behalf Of Mark
Broadbent
Sent: 29 January 2007 13:08

>Hi Andrew,

[...]

>In addition to this you might also want to consider using the ETRN
>smtp command from the primary MX.  This command effectively says to a
>backup mx, start spooling mail to the given domain, now.  This is
>useful if the primary knows it has been off-line and I use this
>successfully on my own system.  I am not sure if exim supports this
>command but I do know that postfix does.

I hate ETRN!  I have seen several hosts doing ETRN every 10 minutes to the
secondary, and there was nothing to pick up, using more bandwidth than on
the odd occasion where they had something at the secondary which usually
spooled within a few minutes anyway.

I actually upgraded to testing yesterday and other than rehashing the Exim
conf for the new 4.63, it was painless.

Andrew.

the system manager.

allpay.net Limited, Fortis et Fides, Whitestone Business Park, Whitestone, Hereford, HR1 3SE. Telephone: 0870 243 3434, Fax: 0870 243 6041. Website: www.allpay.net Email: enquiries at allpay.net