[HLUG] Exim 4.50 on Debian 3.1 external greet_pause?

Mark Broadbent mgjbroadbent at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 30 13:24:44 GMT 2007

On 30/01/07, John Hedges <john at drystone.co.uk> wrote:
> > [...]
>
> Agreed, polling isn't ideal. It's similarly historic, left over from the
> days of numerous POP accounts.
>
> > BTW what ACLs would have to be kept in sync?
>
> Most importantly, usernames, so you don't queue mail for non-existent
> users. Also Clam, SA, white/grey/blacklists, RBLs - anything your
> primary might use to reject at SMTP time so you aren't in the situation
> where you need to send delivery failure notices to forged spammer
> addresses in your queued mail.

So effectively running a copy of the primaries ACLs on the secondary.

> > > [...]
> >
> > I buy my backup MX as a service and have no control over it (it
> > doesn't have any spam/AV controls on it) so I have to implement those
> > anyway on my primary and I might as well allow connections from any
> > sender as I have to deal with all the email on that machine anyway.
> > To be honest I am thinking in the future of having a primary sitting
> > in a permanently connected VM just so I can read new email without
> > having the machine turned on at home, but conversely I would keep the
> > backup in case of outages (the backup MX service costs peanuts).
>
> It would make sense as you are relying on your secondary most of the
> time - it's not really a backup if it handles most of your mail. I hope
> you are considering Bytemark :)

Yep, I know it's not not ideal, but I'd rather have it that way for
now until I get something 'better' sorted out (hopefully soon!).  I
have been looking at VPSs and have found slicehost.com appears to
offer exceptional value for the package offered (256Mb RAM Xen hosted
with 100Mbit quota for 20 USD).

Thanks
Mark

--