[HLUG] Linux Audio Player

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Tue Jan 30 21:45:54 GMT 2007

Sue wrote:
> Amarok has everything you list.
>
> Sue.
>
> On Tuesday 30 January 2007 16:08, Mark Broadbent wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> During the last (rather quiet) meeting, me and Julian were discussing
>> music players for Linux (on the desktop).  Does anyone have any good
>> suggestions about which ones of the many would be good.  It must have
>> playlist, music library and good quality playback and scale well for
>> large music collections.
>>
>> [Julian - I can't remember the name of the one you suggested, could
>> you enlighten me please!]

Hi Mark

I can't actually remember that part of our conversation, but I guess I
probably mentioned 'Banshee'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banshee_(music_player) or Rythmnbox.

Amarok is nice, but always used too much CPU/Memory for me. I haven't
tried it recently tho'.

I read that with Banshee (mentioned in this months Linux Format - its a
Mono Application), you can rip a CD whilst listening to it. This didnt
work for me, unless they're talking about a bit newer version ....

Cheers

Julian