[HLUG] Conferences: GUADEC, PyCON

tundish tundish at thuswise.org.uk
Sun Jul 8 20:43:02 BST 2007

Hi all,

@Julian: Did you get any response to your post about GUADEC?
Are you still planning to go?

@Everyone: There's another, tangentially relevant event coming up in
Birmingham soon; the very first UK Python conference, on the 8th/9th
September at the Birmingham Conservatoire.

For those who don't know, Python is one of those dynamically bound
scripting languages (see also Perl and Ruby). It actually runs on both
Windows and Linux, but being open source, it's been heavily adopted into
 most Linux distributions and often plays a role in system
administration, package management, etc. Python is a great choice for an
application of any size.

It happens to be my favourite programming language at the moment and I'm
seriously thinking of going to the conference. Does anyone fancy coming
along?

"Early bird" registration closes at the end of this month, so you've got
a fortnight to decide. You can find all the details here at
http://www.pyconuk.org/

By the way, if you want to have a play with Python, you might be able to
help debug some of my code! I've just released a message broker under
the GPL; it's written entirely in Python. You can find it here:
http://www.thuswise.org/sprinkle/index.html

If anyone can spare the time, please try downloading and testing the
application. Every bug squished is one step further towards getting Free
Software in use with UK business.

Cheers,

Dave.