[HLUG] HOWTO change file owner by GUI

Mark Broadbent mgjbroadbent at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 8 20:47:12 BST 2007

On 07/07/07, Graham Cole <grahamcole at nerdshack.com> wrote:
> I have to laugh at myself because Matt told me the way BUT....
> I used sudo to launch Nautilus, right clicked a file, went to the
> permissions tab, clicked on the owner window to change owner and then
> FAILED to see that the drop down list had a little arrow at the top,
> indicating a long list of possible owners, including me! (on my 4th
> frustrated attempt I did see the little arrow)
> So in Ubuntu we nearly have a GUI way of changing permissions but it
> begins with a commandline opening of Nautilus. To me that's a good
> compromise.

Hi Graham,

I'm glad you managed to sort out your problem.  I doesn't surprise me
that you had to launch Nautilus at the command line.  Using sudo give
Nautilus enough privileges to change the user and group, when you
log-in it will be launched with the standard user permissions which
can't alter user and group ownership.  What you need is a 'Launch
Nautilus as Root' option in the menu!

Mark