[HLUG] backup old disk

John Hedges john at drystone.co.uk
Thu Jul 12 09:53:15 BST 2007

On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 08:41:01AM +0100, Graham Cole wrote:
> I'm trying again to read my old disk which is hdc from a system running
> on hda. I can mount it ok but the browser doesn't show the home folder.
> >From the following I'm led to believe I'm looking in the right place:
>
>  graham at ubuntu:~$ mount -l -t ext3
> /dev/evms/hda1 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro) [/]
> /dev/hdc1 on /mnt/disk2 type ext3 (rw) [/boot]
>
> I mounted the old disk with ~$ sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/hdc1 /mnt/disk2
>
> this works and I can see a grub folder, lots of config, abi and initrd
> files. Is there a simple trick for getting at the home file? One
> suggestion I tried was to mount with
> :~$ sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/hdc1/home/gra /mnt/disk2
> but this doesn't work, it provokes a message:
> mount: special device /dev/hdc1/home/gra does not exist
>        (a path prefix is not a directory)
>
> I think I'm nearly there!

Seems /dev/hdc1 might be a boot partition.

    $ sudo fdisk -l /dev/hdc

will list the partitions on the disc. If there are others you can try
mounting them eg.:

    $ sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/hdc2 /mnt/disk2

(remember to sudo umount /mnt/disk2 beforehand) or with hdc3,4,5...
depending on what fdisk shows you. Then look for /mnt/disk2/home/gra .

Cheers
John