[HLUG] backup old disk

Graham Cole grahamcole at nerdshack.com
Thu Jul 12 08:41:07 BST 2007

I'm trying again to read my old disk which is hdc from a system running
on hda. I can mount it ok but the browser doesn't show the home folder.
>From the following I'm led to believe I'm looking in the right place:

 graham at ubuntu:~$ mount -l -t ext3
/dev/evms/hda1 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro) [/]
/dev/hdc1 on /mnt/disk2 type ext3 (rw) [/boot]

I mounted the old disk with ~$ sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/hdc1 /mnt/disk2

this works and I can see a grub folder, lots of config, abi and initrd
files. Is there a simple trick for getting at the home file? One
suggestion I tried was to mount with
:~$ sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/hdc1/home/gra /mnt/disk2
but this doesn't work, it provokes a message:
mount: special device /dev/hdc1/home/gra does not exist
       (a path prefix is not a directory)

I think I'm nearly there!

Graham