[HLUG] HD problem

Andrew Hodgson Andrew.Hodgson at allpay.net
Fri Jun 15 16:58:16 BST 2007

Hi,

Which distro?  You need to mount the drive - first find out the drive assignment - probably /dev/hdb? (where ? represents the partition).  You can run fdisk to check this by printing the partition table.  There may be a boot partition and a swap partition before the root (/) partition.

Once you know the partition you want to access on the second disk, use:

Mkdir -p /mnt/disk2
Mount /dev/hdb3 /mnt/disk2

(as an example).

Also, what was the actual error you got, and where did you get it?  Look at /var/log/messages and /var/log/dmesg on the failed (?) disk.  Also check out fsck on the failed disk, remember to ensure you run the correct version for your filesystem.

Another option is that if you have a USB drive enclosure and a modern distro, it should automount if you plug it into the USB port.

Thanks.
Andrew.