[HLUG] HD problem

Graham Cole grahamcole at nerdshack.com
Mon Jun 18 12:24:03 BST 2007

Progress! I now know that the 2 channel connectors on the motherboard
are not simply parallel but are Primary and Secondary. Also I learnt
that using my CD drive in Primary slave position makes it necessary to
put 2 jumpers on the Primary Master HD because the CD drive is a
"non-ATA compatible" slave.
Now I still don't know how to get data off the old disk. I can't mount
the disk because it's not in /etc/fstab (it says when I try to mount
it).
My system is running from the HD which is Primary Master, with a CD
drive as Primary Slave. The suspect HD is in Secondary Slave slot and is
seen as hdd

During experiments with cables I found the old HD was still working
despite the warning of possible imminent failure. Hoping someone can
advise me..
Graham