[HLUG] HD problem

Ralph Jones ralphkj at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 00:57:29 BST 2007

Hello Graham,

If your failing drive has S.M.A.R.T./ is S.M.A.R.T.-enabled, then it
will give you a (fair bit) of warning before completely failing. I think
when mine started playing up, I booted up another twenty times or so,
and left it running for hours on end, before it finally said sayonara.
I still have it, and on a quiet day, I'll play around with plugging it
in with an external USB enclosure, and then trying to see if

ddrescue/dd_rescue

can somehow restore my files onto my new drive.

But if it is still spinning, then the sooner you can replace it, and
then apply the 'dd' or 'cpio' commands the better.

Still, seeing as you're mudplugging with the Eaves' this weekend, a
dodgy HD won't be at the forefront of your mind.

HTH
Ralph