[HLUG] Ever want to scream and shout

David Shorthouse dave at david-shorthouse.co.uk
Wed Jun 27 13:13:53 BST 2007

OK State of play...

this all goes down to my 80 gig drive so  ignore all pc issues.

80 gig drive -master Primary
160 drive -slave (this drive mounts when I ask it too its not auto mounted)
Formatted LVM worked no problem
in my updated machine it wouldn't boot. so I put it back in the old system
and its working fine....

I have got  to the stage where I very much doubt I will get data from the
backup..
But during my quest to get the data from the original I tried to copy it to my
external drive wouldn't copy don't know why.... the drive was ntfs... I then
tried copying via the network... Samba wouldn't allow duplicate names... even
if the type Types where different. NFS this worked however this is where it
gets a whole lot worse and not really knowing what your doing doesn't help
although I must say It wont ever happen again.

While mounting the network drive I wanted to copy my dads profile/home folder
to my new machine so I selected the share on my other machine and selected
the folder I wanted to copy/mount "/home/raymond"  ok that seemed to work
fine I then realised I had mounted the drive over raymond and lost all the
After this episode I got extremely frustrated and formatted another eternal
drive i have ext3 I then copied my /home/* I also copied my log files the
/srv/* web stuff. oh and another important file my hostdeny file.

As soon as the restore has finished i will check the rescue disk on the cd.

Dave....