[HLUG] Clamav engine out of date

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Mon Mar 12 23:50:24 GMT 2007

Gordon Alabaster wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 19:18 +0000, Andrew Hodgson wrote:
>

>> If you used Debian, you could get round this by using the Volatile
>> project, however, I doubt Fedora will support the later versions of
>> ClamAV directly, due to the nature of that distro.  However, there are
>> several RPMs available, I have used this on RHEL:
>>
>> http://crash.fce.vutbr.cz/crash-hat/5/clamav/
>>
>> It works fine.  It is also listed in the download page of the ClamAV
>> site.
>>
>> This site also is very useful and has a fully working RPM system that
>> works with Yum:
>>
>> http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/packages/clamav/

Hi

We had this same problem when setting up an Ubuntu server with Clam.
Clam doesnt really sit nicely with any of the 'normal' packaging regimes
in terms of timeline.

I think we tried the Debian Volatile packages, but these didnt work for
us on Ubuntu ....

We tried another Ubuntu repository,     .......... tower.net (??)) But
sometimes this wasnt updated for a couple of weeks.

In the end, we had to go with the 'roll your own' so a new clam engine
is downloaded and compiled each time. Works but is a bit of a pain.

I had a similar problem when using an Ubuntu server with Zope and Plone
installed. It was only a test box, so I upgraded it as per the usual
Ubuntu/debian means, ie apt-get dist-upgrade after changing the repos
(not the preferred way to do it now !!).

But when it come to Plone, it hadnt run the upgrade script that needs to
be run when upgrading Plone, and was a real mess. I had to completely
re-install.

So this does happen with a few other applications too.

Cheers