[HLUG] Fwd: Ref NTFS

David Shorthouse dave at david-shorthouse.co.uk
Thu Mar 22 11:51:48 GMT 2007

Sorry sent to wrong lug address.. P.s Sorry for test
Hi George,

Here is a couple of pointers for you I run Suse10.2 I have 2 NTFS drives
athough I dont run rindows on here anymore

if you go to a command prompt or shell

type in

mount -t auto /dev/hda1 /mnt/ntfs   ( you will need to create the folder)

mount        - t does what it says on the tin the -t is a standard mount

auto           - this is to auto detect the filesystem type
/dev/hda1    - This can vary depending on if you are using sata or ide I
 think hda is the first disk the 1 is the first partition

so say you have 1 disk 2 partitions with ntfs both on IDE1
you would do something like

mount -t auto /dev/hda1 /mnt/XPdrive  (note - the XPdrive folder must exist)
mount -t auto /dev/hda2 /mnt/Spare-part (note - Spare-part must exist)

if you are mounting another drive the hd will be hdb hdc hde & so on.

I dont know that much about ubuntu its one of the distos I havent used but I
would assum like most of them they do have ntfs support built in.

see - http://homepage.powerup.com.au/~squadron/
This has a 1 page page linux manual that is actually 2 pages but its very
good...

oh if anyone is having issues with wireless cards or are looking at getting a
card atheros chipset is a good one to get well supported with the madwifi
drivers..
Netgear WG511T
I run the above card on my laptop using a bootable version of backtrack
I also have another laptop running Suse10.2 using r8187 realtek drivers(this
took a bit of work to get working but I have read that support for this card
should be in the kernel soon.

Dave

Sorry havent been to the meetings I hope I can make the next one