[HLUG] Next meeting/Spring clean

Ralph Jones ralphkj at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 02:23:51 BST 2008

Hello all,

Would I be correct in assuming that the next meeting is on the 16th of
April? At the last meeting at the Canal Road Day Centre, one of the
ladies mentioned that our regular room/meeting space was booked by
another group (Green Party/FoE? - I forget). Are we
rescheduling/relocating?

I (still) have, and would love dearly to find a new home for, the
following which might be of use/interest to somebody:

1) A removals box ful of general computing and Linux magazines that I
scrounged off Julian about two, posibly three, years ago, with the
intent off going through them and absorbing whatever was of interest.
unfortunately, that never happened! Still, is there someone there who
would like to have a look at them. Otherwise I'll hand them over to the
toilet paper manufacturers.

2) An HP NetServer LC3 PII/350. It was working when replaced two years
ago by my old boss for a newer unit, and is complete apart from the
three removable SCSI drives (I had to return those for destruction,
sensitive company data etc, even though I promised to zero-fill them for
him.)

I grabbed it because it seemed like a nice big housing for a workstation
with multiple drives, but time prevents me from dedicating myself to
this project.

3) I still have three Linux books, hardly used.

- Linux in a Nutshell - A Desktop Quick Reference, 4th Edition; publ. by
O'Reilly

- Running Linux - The Essential Guide to Linux, 4th Edition; publ. by
O'Reilly

- RUTE - Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition, by Paul Sheer, complete
with CD which has the whole boook on it in elec. format.

They'd be of more use to sysadmins and people who would like to study
Linux a bit more seriously than I have the time for. Ideal for anybody
who spends a lot of time working on Linux offline. The only thing I
actually remember using them for was to get a better understanding of
PATH/CLASSPATH, back in the day when I had problems getting Java to
work.

The mags and the server are FOC, but I'd like a fiver each for the
books, tenner for the whole lot, made out to St. Michaels Hospice or
A.N. Other charity. Otherwise I'll have to eBay them at 0.99 starting
price. They're too good to skip.

I look forward to receiving a torrent of emails!!!

Regards
Ralph