[HLUG] bootable cd diagnostics wherefrom?

Mark Broadbent mgjbroadbent at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 17 11:06:40 BST 2008

Hi George,

On 12/04/2008, george at dicenews dot com <dicegeorge at hotmail.com> wrote:
> when i stick an ubuntu cd into some old pcs
>  sometimes it just hangs up if there isnt enough ram or something
> complificated
>  so what i want is a bootable cd
>  which will tell me if ubuntu will work,
>  or if DamnSmallLinux will work,
>  if the ram's working, what hardware there is,
>  etcetera..
>
>  im sure there is such a thing somehwere
>  but where???

You could use Knoppix or SystemRescueCD to ensure the PC is working
properly, I have used both successfully.  SystemRescueCD is a better
bet for a lower spec system as it has a more stripped down desktop
environment (fwwm based I think) whereas Knoppix uses KDE.

I think both these CD include memtest86 to do low level RAM testing
which is always the first thing I run before installing on a box.  It
runs from the bootloader before the OS is loaded to perform the tests.

Thanks
Mark